Monday, June 1, 2009

Double minds


Double Minds by Terry Blackstock

Terry Blackstock is one of my favorite authors. In fact, I wait anxiously for any new books authored by her. As a result, I was excited to see that WCPL had the latest release of hers now on the shelves, Double Minds.

The plot centers around singer/songwriter Parker James who is struggling to make her mark on the Nashville music scene amidst fierce competition,
Parker gets drawn into a murder mystery when a young woman is killed at the recording studio where Parker works. Putting her own life at risk, she attempts to uncover high-level industry corruption and unmask the murderer.
I earnestly plowed through the book, hoping it would pick up speed. It never did. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why I couldn’t seem to get engaged in the story. Was it too much focus on character development and not enough focus on the plot? Perhaps.

Admittedly, it was difficult to figure out who the murderer was. So in that respect, the book succeeded. However, the book bogged down in the long, detailed description of the heroine, Parker James, to the degree that it sapped the energy from the book’s story.

Sooooo… Sad to say, I can’t recommend the book. Perhaps you might think differently, but that’s my say on it.

Review by Kathy Stutzman Community Relations Assistant

No comments: