Thursday, June 28, 2012

They should have talked about Kevin!


We need to talk about Kevin is the kind of movie that is not only highly controversial but likely to split viewers into the "love it" or " hate it" camp. Those who hate it are likely to find it beyond disturbing and actually loathsome. So which camp am I? Of course those who know me know I love a good sociopath story!


I will not forget this movie anytime soon. It is perhaps one of the best works I have seen lately. Not since "The girl with the dragon tattoo" have I found something so disturbing yet so powerful. In this day and age of CG (not that I don't like those type) movies for the most part have become redundant in my opinion. Not this movie, it tackles social issues that are rarely touched because they are taboo, such as the complexity of motherhood(what if you loathed your child, couldn't bond and nurture him)? That is literally unspeakable and inadmissible  in the age of the SuperMom/SoccerMom. This film explores the age old question of nature versus nurture and how that affects moral development.(Are people born bad? Or do we make them bad?) Kevin, whom the parents fail to talk about, represents the banality of evil.(Think "Bad Seed") Evil just because. A force that cannot be explained. (and that in itself is disturbing)


I consider this a horror movie, without the gore, just evil manifesting itself year after year...showing signs as it's developing...and then finally erupting.

I've always wondered what happens to the parents of evil people after they've been caught -- what are their lives like in the aftermath? The newspapers never tell you that. This movie sheds some light on it, and it's truly a nightmare straight out of Hell.

After watching "We need to talk about Kevin" I came to the conclusion that my teenage sons are not so bad. Thank God.

No comments: