Monday, May 7, 2012

The story of Hachi/Hachiko





Before watching this movie I had heard the story about Hachiko many times. I've also come across the two books we have here at the library called Hachiko waits by Leslea Newman and Hachiko: the True story of a loyal dog by Pamela S. Turner. The story goes a loyal dog returns to the train station to meet his master every day even after the death of the master (Richard Gere). The movie takes place in present day and in Connecticut instead of Japan and the 1920s and 1930s. The real Hachiko died in 1934 so this film is long overdue.


I was quite pleased that they kept the story simple; one of a man and his dog, of forging bonds of unconditional love and devotion. What really makes the film stand out is how it shows the perspective of the dog Hachi, who really is the star of the movie, and giving insight into the emotions he felt. I would rate this as probably one of the best dog movies to ever come out of Hollywood. Whether you are a dog lover or not you will not be disappointed in this magnificent film.

Even though I knew how the story ends and prepared myself, the tears nevertheless were inevitable so much so that at one point I thought I might have to turn it off and gain my composure.(I did finish the film but not without quite a bit of tissue)


Hachi's story is an excellent  reminder that ALL dogs have thinking, emotive minds; and that they are part of your family and not something to be possessed. Hachi will continue to educate us from the grave for generations to come. I can't think of a more profound legacy and testament of love from animal to human then Hachi's story.

No comments: