Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Graveyard book

By early 2009 The Graveyard Book written by British-born author Neil Gaiman and published by HarperCollins Children’s Books had spent over 15 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list. I hesitated reading the book because I didn’t think I was ready for a spooky fantasy tale in midwinter. But recently I learned that the book was nominated and just won The John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children’s literature. At that point I knew I had to check it out for myself from our library and start reading. After a few pages I recognized I had a book in my hands from a writer with a gifted imagination for people of all ages to enjoy.

The Graveyard Book revolves around the life of a normal boy, Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, who just happens to be growing up in a graveyard. I understand the theme of this book was inspired twenty summers ago when the author was watching his then two-year-old son ride a tiny tricycle between gravestones. The book starts out when Bod was a baby and tragically his family was murdered in their sleep. Bod amazingly managed to escape a similar death by crawling out of his baby crib, down the stairs and out the open front door. He reached the safety of the neighborhood graveyard where over the years he remained protected and educated by the resident ghosts he can see and a mysterious solitary guardian.

I returned to the book frequently eagerly awaiting whatever new breathtaking adventures young Bod would get tangled up as he slowly matured into a thoughtful and considerate young man. Dave McKean’s dramatic illustrations and Neil Gaiman’s suspenseful cliffhanger chapter endings made for an effective “can’t stop reading” novel. I regretted the book ending so soon and look forward to a sequel.

Review by Ann Zydek

No comments: