Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Paper Architecture


I just happened to see the book on display at the Library and was instantly intrigued by it. Filled with fascinating architecture origami from easy to advanced levels, it drew me in. I was awestruck by the 20 different projects ranging from a simple pyramid to the Tower Bridge in London. One of the staff and I just oohed and aahed over the examples shown. Soooo, I thought I would try one. I went for an easy project. Not wanting to waste card stock, I tried the process initially on plain paper. Not too hard. It looked decent too. Emboldened, I tried it on card stock. That’s when it got difficult. I had a terrible time attempting to fold the valley folds without crumpling the paper.

I think anyone with a mathematical mind or someone loving origami (or even a curious person like me) would absolutely love attempting the projects. Working with card stock can be a little tricky and I found the project to be much simpler on plain 8.5 x 11 paper. They look just as good as good also, just not as sturdy. An origami project from this would be a great activity on a rainy day or even a bad winter day.

Review by Kathy Stutzman Community Relations Assistant

No comments: