Friday, June 1, 2012

I really hate self-help books but....


No  honestly, I really do! The paper they're printed on would be better used for bird-cage liners. (The psycho-babble "I'm OK, You're OK" -- good lord if we're all OK then why in the heck are we reading these?) However I absolutely love Augusten Burroughs so I thought I'd take a chance


I am certainly glad I did. This is not your typical feel good self help book-- no sugar-coating, no garbage no 10 steps, no goal listing, no mirror looking or soul searching just brutal honesty. From ending your life without committing suicide, to becoming "thin," to dealing with the death of a loved one -- you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel the sting of a wake-up slap across the face. Burroughs is not here to comfort you or tell you that you're ok(Chances are you're not) he's here to tell you like it is, to help you quit whining and build that bridge and get over it! You've got to face the truth, Because, as he says, truth is a force. And the truth of the matter is if your life sucks...you're probably the main reason it does. Not your mother, father, sister or that high school rival you wanted to slap, but YOU! Now get up, go get that book, change the way you think and behave and then change your life, Augusten is here to be your guide!

No comments: