Monday, July 9, 2012

Down on Jump Street



Ahhh how I remember watching 21 Jump Street as a young adult in the 1980's. I loved it when it was on network television. The premise: a bunch of young looking 20 something detectives pose as high school students as they attempt to curb the criminal activity that is perpetrated by high school students.

The plot of the movie is not difficult to follow. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are enemies in high school; with Channing Tatum being the popular high school jock(Jenko), while Jonah Hill is the socially awkward and geeky Eminem look-a-like(Schmidt). A few years after they graduate from high school, they enroll in the police academy, become friends and are so inept that they are placed in the bike unit. After a messy drug bust they are sent to 21 Jump Street to infiltrate a drug operation in a high school. I won't say more so as not to ruin it for you!

Even though I liked the TV series I was certainly glad that the movie was only loosely based on the original. (You know how movies made from TV shows turn out...can you say train wreck) Hill and Tatum are a perfect fit, a disaster waiting to happen. The chemistry between those two is authentic and fun to watch. I was pleasantly surprised as I am not a fan of Channing Tatum(Yeah I know sue me) but I am a fan of Jonah Hill(even the skinny one). Also Ice Cube's role as the Captain is hilarious! I must admit that I spent most of the movie looking for Johnny Depp's cameo! Almost thought I had missed it! Of course my darling Johnny never lets me down!(10 minutes on the screen and he steals the show!)

21 Jump Street is definitely worth a watch. So grab a bowl of popcorn and sit back and enjoy the laughs.

No comments: